Monday, March 8, 2010

Rapala MaxRap MXR13 Review

I had a chance to test out the new Rapala MaxRap MXR13 today. For testing purposes I used 10lb Vicious fluorocarbon, Ardent Outdoors C400 5.0:1 casting reel and a 7'0 medium action rod. Below you will find all the details........

According to the Rapala website the MXR13 is described as -

Tip to tail everything about the MaxRap is premium. Designed for maximum casting distance, the MaxRap features an aerodynamic shape that combines with its patented internal MaxCast mechanism to deliver unbelievable distance in each cast. Complemented with every imaginable maximum feature like laser-engraved scales, VMC® Spark Point hooks and superior quality components. Rip it for darting, wild searching action or straight retrieve for hard-flashing "wounded minnow" Rapala wobble. Discriminating anglers demand the best. Demand the MaxRap.

Features:

* Internal MaxCast Mechanism
* Balanced with Tungsten Balls for Max Casting Accuracy
* Aerodynamic Body Shape
* Internal Laser-Engraved Scales
* Premium Spark Point Black Nickel VMC® Hooks
* Suspending
* Oval Line Tie
* Deep 3D Holographic Eyes
* Hand Tuned & Tank Tested

My Opinion -

As advertised the bait does cast a country mile. The body shape is very similar to most other jerkbaits that are coming out from the Japanese market. The Internal Laser-Engraved Scales is a nice feature and adds nice flash when being worked. The stock hooks I would replace straight out of the package with red Mustad Triple Grips. Having it come with a oval line tie is a nice feature and saved me from having to replace it. 3D holographic eyes were also a plus for the MXR13.

Now for the down and dirty part-

Most jerkbaits all sit level in the water while the MXR13 stands on its tail. If you are working the bait fast you can keep the bait level and the action is decent but as soon as you pause the bait goes tail down. If you are fishing in warmer weather or the pattern is working the bait at a good pace you won't have a problem. If you are fishing a pattern where you need to pause the bait for more then two seconds there are a lot of other jerkbaits on the market that are much better than the MXR13. Nose up is failure #1.

The MXR13 is listed as a suspending bait. This would be failures #2 in the testing. The MXR13 floated nose up to the top of the water surface after being paused about 10-15 seconds even with using fluorocarbon line. Using fluorocarbon I expected the bait to stay nose down while suspended.

Now the depth can be viewed a couple ways. The MXR13 is listed to have a running depth of 1-2'. As I said I used 10lb Vicious fluorocarbon for the testing and was able to achieve depths much greater then 1-2'. I was able to get to the 6-8' range pretty easy with the long casting distance. Now should this be counted as a failure or a plus? If you buy it expecting to use it for the 1-2' depth you will be disappointed but if you buy it thinking you might get a deeper depth you will be happy. Guess we will call it a push for now.

Last Cast -

With the $15.99 price tag my expectations were much higher for the MXR13. I am sure there is a time, place and pattern the MXR13 will shine but for cold water conditions where you need a bait to suspend level for long periods the MXR13 just doesn't pass. Overall I would rate the MXR13 a 1 out of a possible 5. With a lower price point it might make a 2 out of a possible 5.

Please feel free to ask questions or leave a comment below. I will also try and get a better picture I give myself a 1 out of 5 for my lack of taking a decent picture. Doug

2 comments:

  1. I just bought this lure. I tested it in my fish tank. It suspends horizonal. I think the moving metal inside your bait stuck on the tail portion. You can shake it up or do a hard jerk. This happens to X-Rap and Lucky Craft Pointers once awhile. The moving metal inside bait gives the maximum casting distance but sometimes it stuck in the back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of that as well. I had three of them and all three did the same thing. I even held it so the weight was in the forward position and then would sit it in the water and it would roll back and float tail down. Maybe you just lucky or I got unlucky. Doug

    ReplyDelete